Key Benefits of Bellwether Bridge Monitoring
Strategic Bridge Inventory Management
The Bellwether monitoring system can address multiple management challenges and needs through data collection that eliminates speculation of bridge condition as well as providing the pathway to help your team better manage your bridge inventory.
Informed Planning and Budgeting
Focus your budgeting with continuously updated status of the bridge inventory. Avoid premature or unnecessary bridge replacements.
Optimized Risk Management
There is a shortage of liability capacity in the rail insurance industry. Obtain or reallocate insurance capacity by lowering risk.
Enhanced System Velocity
Keep traffic moving fluidly over all bridges, especially bottlenecks.
Maximize Safety and Improve Overall Operations Through an Array of Benefits
Comprehensive, objective live load information.
Better trend information for more informed decision-making.
Reduced need for frequent re-inspections of problematic bridges.
Efficient triage of the bridge inventory.
Prioritization of repairs and replacements based on accurate data.
Extension of the service lifetime of certain bridges when feasible.
Reduced probability of premature or unnecessary bridge replacement.
Tracking of bridge load cycles for estimation of fatigue accumulation.
Monitoring the effectiveness of outsourced maintenance programs.
Immediate status updates for equipped bridges after earthquakes or other disasters.
Assessment of bridge conditions during and after flood or hurricane recovery.
Reassessment of bridge conditions following fire, collision, or derailment.
Early detection and resolution of deficiencies forestalling, preventing accelerated damage accrual.
Identification of bridge damage caused by track issues by poor approaches.
Continuous monitoring reduces the chances of surprises.
Timely detection of potential failures, collisions, and other incidents.
Avoidance of running trains over compromised bridges.
Effective and Efficient Bridge Maintenance
Cost avoidance and cost savings
- Prioritize and schedule major repairs and replacements. Bellwether can help you efficiently and accurately determine whether the entire structure or specific components warrant repair or replacement—and in which order of priority.
- Make more efficient use of inspectors and more effective inspection results, particularly under live load.
- Better detection and targeting of repairs based on identification of specific structural weaknesses. Bridge damage accrues at an increasing rate — early detection and remediation save money.
- Current bridge management is primarily based on visual, subjective inspections which provide only periodic glimpses of bridge conditions. Bellwether gives improved and more timely awareness of actual conditions in the field.
- Remote, continuous monitoring of troublesome bridges requiring frequent manual inspections saves time and money.
- Improved confidence in the accuracy of bridge load capacity ratings based on objective physical measurements of the structure’s performance under live load.
Faster, more Effective Incident Recovery
- Be alerted immediately of incidents or accidents and receive real time bridge status updates for dispatchers, inspectors, and engineers.
- Bellwether’s optional automatic video monitoring provides ultra high definition imagery for real time observations and use as legal evidence.
- Earthquakes or flooding can result in widespread line closures which inspections may take hours or days to resolve. Instead, you can prioritize limited inspection resources based on simultaneous and immediate re-assessment of damage to all Bellwether-equipped bridges.
For new or existing structures
No need for blueprints or costly and unverifiable modeling. Independent of previous engineering, Bellwether offers a fresh and objective view into the structure’s status. In the event a structure is replaced in the future, Bellwether will have collected useful information concerning the performance of existing foundations and substructures.
Deployment is simple and quick
Bellwether’s patented highly scalable wireless architecture is based on battery-powered sensor modules which are simply attached at key locations on the structure. The optional video subsystem is integrated into the wireless architecture.